Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I received a bank cheque and when I presented it at my

Customer Question

I received a bank cheque and when I presented it at my Westpac branch, I was informed that it would take 3 days to clear. It was my understanding that a bank cheque was as good as cash and that, on presentation, I could receive cash for it. What is the correct response to a bank cheque?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Tasmania.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I have been a customer of this branch for many years and they have a considerable sum of my money in term deposits, one of which matures tomorrow.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 24 days ago.

Hello
Bank cheques almost all the time now will be deposited into a bank account, as has been for some time now.

There are some agencies in and around town that do take your cheque and give you cash back, but they do take a fee.

A bank however, will always put the amount into a bank account, and will take 3 days to clear.
if you have a complaint about it, you can go to the ombudsman:

https://www.fos.org.au/

But I do not see it being successful.

I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you, Daniel. It was my understanding that I paid AUS$5.00 for your advice - no mention was made about having to pay a further AUS$76.00. I am not not prepared to pay a further fee, especially one that was not quoted up front! As a solicitor I am sure you would counsel a client of yours not to do so. I have tried to reach the Banking Ombudsman - I typed in " Banking Ombudsman, Tasmania" and got your website - the rest you know.