Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I purchased a horse for my Beginner partner. He was sold to

Customer Question

I purchased a horse for my Beginner partner. He was sold to me as a beginners horse. I have ridden for many years off and on. I bought this horse and rod him after the man had ridden him for 20 minutes. Brought him home. He seemed to be settling in well. I fitted saddle etc carefully.. Put on my helmet and he stood perfectly still as I mounted him. As soon as I had my both feet in stirrups he erupted and did a rodeo horse on me!! I was on for a second and was thrown violently up in the air.. smashing my leg. Now over 6 month later I still can not walk.. He took the horse back reluctantly last week and he gave me 1600 were the horse I took to exchange he recieved 1900. I also ended up in the ICU as I suffered a pulmonary embolism from a blood clot in my leg.. Now Im on heart tablet permanently as I have heart failure.. Just really annoyed as Im not a risk taker at 58 .. Should I and can I take this further lease. Many thanks Angela
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in NSW but purchacd the said horse in Qld..
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Only at the hospitals I was admitted to.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Im not sure. Just so annoyed as I can hardly walk and surgon says thats probably as good as my leg will get :(
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Evening.

I am sorry to hear about the situation. The only way you can take it further is if you can show that he knew the horse was not suitable and he mislead you.

This is going to be difficult to prove.

If you can collect evidence that back up the horses was not suitable for beginners and he mislead you then you have a case for him being negligent.

It is not going to be easy.

Do you have any evidence apart form what happened to you?