Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

There has been a notice sent to all salaried staff at the

Customer Question

Good morning, there has been a notice sent to all salaried staff at the mine site that I work at which has been an outcome of a recent hostile take over from the previous owners. the notice has informed all staff that their previous contracts of employment will be terminated as of the 15th of November and that most employees will be offered new contracts at a changed roster and reviewed salaries. my immediate question is what payments are required to be made in the 15th November termination of contract so far as redundancy pay and annual leave etc and secondly does the offer of a new contract with changed working conditions negate the need for any termination payments that would be due from the 15th November contract termination.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: now will be good
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Western Australia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, not at this stage.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

Has there been a sale of the mine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There has been a hostile take over of the mine via a share take up carried out by the current owner, the current owner negotiated with all share holders including the previous controlling share holder to +90% share ownership and then took up the remainder through compulsory acquisition.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Evening.

What do your contracts say? It is usual practice if there is a new owner that all employees are terminated and offered new jobs with their entitlements paid out on termination.