Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am wondering what I can do about a house being constructed

Customer Question

I am wondering what I can do about a house being constructed next door to my house which will be only 850mm from our fence and will tower over our living area. All the light will be blocked from my kitchen and the eaves will be level with my fence and directly above my wooden pergola
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: In Victoria Nillumbik Shire
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Do you mean by me?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am very worried about storm water cascading into our property from the roof and in summer the very real fire danger having a dwelling so close to a wooden fence and pergola.Also, our property value will be affected and I will have no light in my kitchen and living area.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

You need to lodge a complaint with Council setting out the issues and how your privacy and natural light is being interfered with.

Also you should look at the rules about how far they have to be from the boundary and I suggest you speak to a town planner and get this information, Usually it is the wall must be at least 1 metre from the boundary.

All your concerns have to be in the letter and when you speak to the town planner get ideas on how to correct the issues and set them out.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards