Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I'm a school teacher and have been for the past 15 years. In

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a school teacher and have been for the past 15 years. In early 2004/5 i was convicted for drink driving (went to court). My BAR was 0.062. I've never declared this to the TRB as traffic incidents did not need to be declared. Recent changes led me to do some reading on the subject and i'm pretty sure because i'm a teacher it will show that i have a criminal conviction (i'm mortified! i certainly don't think of myself that way) because i'm exempt from my conviction being 'spent'. I feel i should declare it but i'm worried for 2 reasons -1. I haven't declared before so will appear dishonest even though i really thought i didn't have to and 2 i'm concerned it might affect my employment even though i've been permanently employed by DECD for 14 yrs! What do you think? Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks, Pete
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: SA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not sure what you mean - we have to sign consent for the Teacher's Registration Board to conduct the National Police History Check whenever they like during the registration period (each period is 3 years)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No i don't think so, thankyou
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Morning.

You have signed the document that allows them to do the check on you and have the done one?