Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My ex and I have agreed to a financial/property settlement

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** ex and I have agreed to a financial/property settlement and parenting plan and want to get our divorce finalised. As we have made these agreements already do we need a lawyer to register the documents with the courts to get the appropriate court orders required to transfer the property to my name only?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry NSW
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing as yet. We thought we would get this agreements sorted first
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I really just want to know the process and if we can do it ourselves
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

hello

Congratulations on coming to an agreement.
I would suggest having the agreement signed asap before either of you change your mind!
You do not need a solicitor to draft up the agreement, but for a fee of around $1500, a suburban general practice lawyer can do it for you.
Having said that;
You can draft up the agreement and have them filed in court using this form:
http://www.familycourt.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/fcoaweb/forms-and-fees/court-forms/diy-kits/kit-diy-application-consent-orders

Its quite straight forward, well as straight forward as court forms go anyway.

Once the form is complete, you can file the document in court, and it will be sent back sealed, as court orders.

I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you