Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I accepted a new job based on a company car that was

Customer Question

Hi. I accepted a new job based on a company car that was offered. This was then changed to a car allowance. On the contract I received on the 8/10/2016 indicated a company car. When I received the contract signed by the management on the 11/10/2016 via email I signed, scanned & sent it back. I didn't realise they changed to car allowance assuming it was exactly the same as the one they gave me to look over. Due to making the decision to knock back another preferred job offer as I didn't want to put any more financial strain on my family. The girl from human resources said I had miss understood and a company car was never an option. This was a lie in it´s self. They then offered my a car for 6 months but I had to sign it was my responsibility to buy one after that. I have since bought a car as I don´t trust them. This has really stressed me and if I knew this I would have decided to accept the preferred option. I start with them on Monday! What should I do. I have been deceived! I hope this makes sense in writting
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NSW I have a copy of both contracts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No sure what you mean??
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I feel very concerned.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

The contract you signed was with a car?

You did not sign it with a car allowance? Do you have a copy of what you signed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The one I signed was with the car allowance. I missed the change they made. Car allowance was never in the conversation.. They gave me the same contract to review a few days before with the Car inclusive. But I admit I missed that they changed the conditions without telling me and I signed as i believed they were the same.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a copy of both!
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

Because you signed it as is you are bound by it. But you can contact them and discuss it. Set out what the discussions were and that the contract was incorrect. Do you have anything in writing to confirm that there was t be a car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I said all interview discussions were with a company car. I have a copy of a contract that states a company car that was given to me a couple of days before. I guess I can´t do anything about it. Company now has demonstrated it´s way of doing things. I admit I should have gone through it again before I signed. They chased me as I originally decided on another company. Due to financial reasons I didn't want to put my family in further debit. The human resource department said a company car was NEVER part of the job offer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is a blatant lie!
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

If you have the original contract that wad given to you before you can use this.

Send them a copy and advise that you are going to take this further

They head hunted you. Did the other company offer you more than this contract you have signed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No they didn't but I have that agreement too. Actually I called them to see if the position was available. The fact is I decided on a this company due to not being in a good position to buy a car.They just said it was a miss communication.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I feel I have been lied to.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There´s obviously nothing I can do
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

You have been lied to but it is your word against theirs.

You can take them on but I cannot guarantee you will be successful

I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.

If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards