Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Just moved into new house with built in Meile oven. The oven

Customer Question

Just moved into new house with built in Meile oven.
The oven door literally exploded as I stood in front of it about to open it. The glass shattered with enough force to launch shattered glass all over the room. No injuries but could easily have been, including small children in shot!
Called Meile, they said they would send tech to investigate
He came today, and said his job simply instructed him to replace the door, and in fact he couldn't do that as apparentlty we were required to retain the handle. However, he was told to charge us $600+ for parts and call out.
The oven is 10yrs old, warranty was just for 2yrs.
However, surely given the seriousness of the fault or whatever caused this serious saftey breach, they should be doing a product recall or at the very least being willing to replace for free.
I want to take this further, apart from writing to Meile, what other actions can I take, e.g. is there an official process for reporting such serious faults, and or service failures? Or a consumer body that would be willing to support me with my complaint? And if so, how do I proceed?
My aim is to simply have meile take responsibilit and replace the door or oven without charge.
thanks
Ian
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand I am very limited on what I can tell you and that you may have to get more detailed advice.

This is a consumer warranty issue and they should not charge you.

You should contact Consumer Affairs and report Meile for this and seek to get your money back if you have paid it.

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/businesses/fair-trading/complaint-handling

If you have photos you can also consider taking this to the media if Meile continues to do the right thing.

Here is some more information for you.

https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/consumer-rights-and-advice/your-rights/buying-guides/what-to-do-with-a-faulty-product

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry this tells me nothing I didn't already know I hope I didn't get charged for this and am amazed you expect a positive feedback?
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Afternoon

I am sorry that it did not meet your expectations. But follow the above process and you should have it replaced. I am only able to tell you what the legal position is and I completely understand your frustration.

All the best