Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I rented a unit while I renovated elsewhere. At the end of

Customer Question

I rented a unit while I renovated elsewhere. At the end of 12 months I asked to sign my Tenancy agreement for 6 months and then month to months thereafter. The agent said rhe landlord preferred me to sing a 12 month lease and because I did not want to move again I signed and it was explained to me that I could terminate the lease if I gave 28 days notice. I have vacated the unit, I have given more than 28 days notice, I have cleaned the unit and I have handed the keys back to the agent.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Melb, Victoria
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have completed all the forms including the bond claim form and the agents forms relating to keys and carpet cleaning. I advised the agent that they could do open for inspections" from last Thursday. The only communication that the Property Manager will have with me is that the tenancy period was until 29th November and I will be held responsible to pay the rent (1,760/month) until that date. They have put a board up to advertise the property but there has been no "open for inspections" until tomorrow.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Am I bound to pay this last months rent? I knew that I would not need a 6 month contract but the Property Manager (who is no longer at the Real Agents Office) assured me that I could break the lease at any time if I followed the actions that I have outlined
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am 67 years old and this communication is really stressful. I want to talk to someone
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Hello
Heres the thing, if it goes to the tribunal, they will make some negotiations whereby you would need to pay something, a months rent, is generally what they would decide, after spending time (wasting time) being there.
By the time you find this agent, hold him accountable and the like, commercially it would not be viable.
I know it is upsetting, but at the end of the day, I handle a lot of these matters in practice. A tribunal will just push you to settle.
I would suggest going back to them and suggest paying 3 weeks, rather than a month.

I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.