Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I have a question with a wedding contract from a venue: If a

Customer Question

Hello I have a question with a wedding contract from a venue:
If a contract is signed by both the venue and client for a specific date, and the wedding occurred on a different date is that contract legally binding as it's not on the date in the contract and no other contract was signed for the change of date?
My issue is with a resort as in the contract terms and conditions specifies the hotel reserves the right to change event space from that listed in the agreement and advise the organiser at the earliest possible occasion of the change, and discuss alternative arrangements.
The hotel moved us 6 weeks prior to our wedding, due to them having a launch party the night of our wedding from newly renovated resort, My personal opinion they knew they were having the launch party prior to when they told us this information. At this stage it was too late to change venues so close to the wedding.
Please help !
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 days ago.

Good Evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand I am very limited on what I can tell you and that you may have to get more detailed advice.

Yes it is binding it was signed by both parties and they have agreed to the terms and conditions.

Why did it occur on a different date? I can understand the moving of the venue but not the different date of the wedding?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not too sure on the change of date as this was over a period of 2 years.
Expert:  Leon replied 8 days ago.

Good Morning.

If the bride and gore changed the date of the wedding after signing then it is not a problem of the venue. They have to be the ones to speak to them about making changes.