Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

I am in the miiltary and I was interviewed for a drug

Customer Question

I am in the miiltary and I was interviewed for a drug offence which I made admissions, The military police asked me to give a statement to them with what I know about other drug users in the military. I self incriminated myself in the statement. Originally they gave me a caution and then told me they would only be using my statement as intelligence gathering. What should they have done? Can they give the statement to the WA police and should I have been caustioned and then reinterviewed with my rights explained?
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 days ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand I am very limited on what I can tell you and that you may have to get more detailed advice.

Military law is different to the normal law.
But generally they should have advised you that anything you tell them can and will be held against you.

You should have been read your rights. Generally they deal with these matters internally and do not forward them onto the civilian police unless you have ben dealing and the matter is more than just a use matter in the service.
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.