Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have a question regarding constitutional law. Given the

Customer Question

I have a question regarding constitutional law. Given the govt signed the agenda 30 in paris is it legal for a govt of australia to sign such an agreement with a foreign power namely the united nations?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NSW But my question is regarding federal govt and the signing of agreements with a foreign power under article 44 of the australian constitution?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: im trying to work out if a case of treason can be bought against the federal govt over this matter
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand I am very limited on what I can tell you and that you may have to get more detailed advice.

Can you be more specific what you are looking at in article 44 that you say the Federal government has no right to enter foreign treaties?

The power to do this comes under section 51(xxix) of the Constitution which was granted to the federal government by the states.

The following link gives you details on how they have the power under the constitution to enter treaties with forewing powers and governments.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp9900/2000RP15

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards