Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Story very short- leading hand at work after our weekly

Customer Question

long story very short- leading hand at work after our weekly meeting asks me a question, repeatedly in different ways , we always get along very well and joke alot with everyone else except this time he kept on and on about this question, i had a pair of soft inner gloves in which i playfully flicked him with on the forehead and in an instant he turned on me grabbing my hands squeezing hard and he proceeded to tell me 'never hit me like that again c++t! i was in shock at his response and how quickly his attitude changed. we got into an argument went to the office in which the boss is his twin brother and he proceeds to reprimand us both - i apologise to both and got nothing in return. later i saw surface bruising on both hands and told the boss in which he said- you know how he gets and what reaction did i expect when i hit him? i did not even physically touch him and it was not a flick of violence in any way i really need my job but at the same time i am still angry about this and scared to take things further , i don' t know my rights on this as my boss seems to insinuate i deserved that to happen because i flicked him first. any advice would be highly appreciated please.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: queensland, meat processing plant
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes i showed my workplace health and safety lady and photos have been taken , i need to see her tomorrow as this happened friday morning and the bruising has gone now
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: ok
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: um no thank you
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i also have pictures should you wish to see them
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
im sorry i forgot to add the boss was standing right behind us when all of this took place and he being his brother knew where this would all head and still he did not step in until after his brother had grabbed both my hands and spoke to me the way he did watching things escalate
thats all
Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 6 months ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/australian-law/9ydhp-story-short-leading-hand-work-weekly.html. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

What you did was not appropriate and even though you did not touch him the gloves did. His reaction was over the top. You and him should both be counselled and as he is your superior he has to be told by the boss that his behaviour should be changed.

It was an overreaction to what you did and it can be seen as assault and if you wish to report it to the police they may charge him.

This is the best I can offer you.

I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.

If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards