Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

Im trying to find some information on my step father

Customer Question

hi my names tamara im trying to find some information on my step father adopting me im 28 years old
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: tasmania
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not as yet im trying to get all the information i can. i just dont know where to start
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 17 days ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Here is the section that would apply.

19. Who may be adopted

(1) On application by the Secretary or the principal officer of an approved agency but subject to this Act, the court may make an order for the adoption of a child who–

(a) had not attained the age of 18 years before the date on which the application was filed in the court; or

(b) has been brought up, maintained, and educated by–

(i) the prospective adoptive parent or either of the prospective adoptive parents; or

(ii) the prospective adoptive parent and his or her deceased spouse–

as the child of that parent or, as the case may be, of that parent and his or her spouse–

but the court shall not make an order for the adoption of a child who is, or has been, married.

(2) An order may be made under this Act for the adoption of a child notwithstanding that the child had, whether before or after the commencement of this section, and whether in Tasmania or elsewhere, previously been adopted.

(3) In this section,

spouse includes the person with whom a prospective adoptive parent had a significant relationship which was the subject of a deed of relationship registered under Part 2 of the Relationships Act 2003, which deed was revoked by the death of the person.

It is 1(b)(ii) that you would fall under.

You will need a solicitor to assist with this application as it has to be in court. If you are married then you cannot be adopted.

The act is at the following link.;cond=;[email protected]%2B20080214140000;histon=;prompt=;rec=;term

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.