Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

My daughter has worked for Red Cross for the last 12 years

Customer Question

My daughter has worked for Red Cross for the last 12 years in family support services and has been told that the government has ceased funding Red Cross for this services and the offices will be closed in the next couple of months and they have said that there will be no redundancy pay as they have all been paid on a contract basis. This would seem to be grossly unfair on all of those people who give up in some cases professional careers and accept low wages to help the needy families. My daughter is a qualified phycologist but chooses to work with the disadvantaged. There would appear to be 15-20 people affected by the decision of Red Cross in Queensland.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not as yet and Red Cross have not confirmed but have verbally indicated that no redundancy will be paic.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 18 days ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

What does her contract say?

Does she get paid annual leave and sick pay?

Is she a contractor or an employee? It does not matter what he contract says it is what she is in reality.

Here is a fact sheet.

If she meets the criteria of employee then she is entitled to Long Service Leave and may have to sue,

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.