Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

Second opinion] - My daughter and her husband have moved

Customer Question

Second opinion] - My daughter and her husband have moved from a rental property in Razorback (near Picton) and the landlady/estate agent are withholding their bond. They claim that the little house was not clean enough although the small property was much cleaner than when they moved in four years ago. They kept the house very clean and I visited two weeks prior to assist them with their packing and looking after their 11 month old baby. In preparation to their move I also assisted with their cleaning which included their oven/stove/kitchen etc. While I was there, my daughter cleaned the shower with bleach and a toothbrush for over two hours in order to remove any mould from the grouting. They always treated their place as their home. They now live 3:5 hrs away and the landlady has insisted that they return to cut the lawn and mop the floor, which was cleaned with Pino Clean wooden floor cleaner, but it seems necessary to be mopped again. In addition it is claimed the lawn wasn't cut well enough etc etc. They have returned on a number of occasions and have been charged a daily rate to remove their possessions. Their rental agreement ran out in 2013 and not one inspection of the property was made by the landlady, who lived on the same block of land, or by the estate agent. Over the four year period the young family paid over $60,000 in rental and no repairs were ever made. I can vouch for the cleanliness and loving care taken of their little home. It is extremely disappointing and distressing that the landlady and estate agent are withholding the bond money. They are also requesting a fee of $320 for a local handyman to move in, prior to re-renting. In addition they landlady requested a little wooden hut which my son-in-law made for my daughter be left behind. This is similar to a beach hut. I would be grateful for any advice you can provide and thank you for your assistance. Yours sincerely, Mrs ***** *****,***** Double Bay, NSW 2028.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 23 days ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Did they have an initial inspection when they moved in?

Did they do an inspection with the landlord when they left and was this documented?