Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I have received water rates for my business from the last 18

Customer Question

Hi I have received water rates for my business from the last 18 months and need some advice please
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Victoria
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, the landlord paid the bills at the time and did not pass them onto the businesses on his property
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We were sub letting from another business and they are the ones who have given us bills for our property as well as the business next door
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When we paid our 1/2 share of rates it was for the premises 101-103 High St. We have now received the water bills relating to 101-103 plus 105-109 High St. In our sublease it was stated that "All water charges associated with the premises will be paid by us", but surely that is in regards ***** ***** that we agreed we would pay and did not sub lease 105-109. If we paid the rates for 101-103 can the sub lessees charge us for the business next door ( owned by their son) on the same block of land.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

Hello
In short, your presumption is correct. There would be no court that would accept the proposition that you agreed to pay all water bills to all lots.

It is absurd.

I would simply have them chase the debt from the other entities and you are to pay what was agreed.

It is that simple.

It all comes down to the agreement. The premises mean the ones you sublease, not all of them!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

Hello
I note I still have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 months ago.

Hello
I wish to help you in this situation.