How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 43733
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to get a divorce. I married in Las Vegas and don't

Customer Question

I need to get a divorce. I married in Las Vegas and don't know how to go about getting a divorce from Australia?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm in WA and I have been living on my own for 7 years.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes we did some court orders about 5 years ago and I got full custody of the kids
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My x is an alcoholic and not in a very good way. I am on a budget and a single mum. How much does it cost on average?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok, do I need to get a divorce in WA or Nevada?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do I need to do to get a divorce? Is there a website to go to? I found this one can I use it if I'm an Australian?
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I assume you are still in Australia. Because you say you have court orders 5 years ago fro the children I will assume you have been separated for 5 years.

You can apply for a divorce in Australia provided you have been separated fro the 12 months and currently living in australia.

A copy of the marriage certificate will be required. You do not have to go to the US and get a divorce.

Here is the link for divorce in WA and it contains the forms you need

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just to confirm even though I got married in Las Vegas USA, I apply for a divorce in WA.
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

Good Afternoon

Yes that is correct provided you are present in WA and have the marriage certificate to prove you were married.