Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

In 2015 I was approached by a franchise company to become

Customer Question

In 2015 I was approached by a franchise company to become partners. They told me they had 8 people ready to sign, that my role would involve interviewing people to find the right candidates and that they would pay half the interest on my investment.
After I signed the contract I found that there were no people ready to sign, that my role was much more complex, and that I would have to repay them the interest portion.
The company did the same thing to another 4 people in my position. We want to leave the company but we are told they will not buy it back. The company has not made any profit for any of us 5 people who bought into it and we can't keep pay hundreds of thousands of dollars per year on interest alone. Do we have a legal case of misrepresentation by the company? We feel that we were lied to in order to sign up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon,

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You are going to have to take the contract you signed to a solicitor and have them look at it in detail.

The law does protect you for misleading and deceptive conduct but you have to be able to prove what they did.

Also if the contract is unfair there is the unfair contracts act that may assist you.

Here is some information.

You should all go and see the solicitor together and have a detailed summary of what you were told and any documents in writing they sent you prior to signing and get more detailed advise on what you can do.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.