Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I had some work done by a builder who requested cash. I have

Customer Question

I had some work done by a builder who requested cash. I have paid cash to date $4,840 plus one invoice for $1,235 and have another invoice for 2835 inc gst. They have had to rework on 3 instances and I have had to get others in as their rework is also poor. I am holding payment of their last invoice $2835 and would like to deduct the costs of rework. they have issued a final notice via the magistrates court. I would like to contest this.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I have only been in South Australia since May this year
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No but I would like to. Note I have paid the elecrtrican and plumbers and carpenters without issue and believe I pay well. these plasters charge $50 an hour each being $100
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have offered settlement fn 860 to 1250 for them to go away as I am verystressed but they are greedy and want 1900. when I paid them cash - they also asked for GST on top of their rate
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

Hello
Attend court on the next occasion, tell the Magistrate that you offered $1250 and they did not accept it.

A Magistrate will take issue with them not accepting that figure, as it is a significant settlement amount and will convince them to settle.

I would also suggest providing all photos and works that are poor / incomplete.

I do not think a court would accept their evidence, based on what you have told me anyway.

Please click accept / rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Daniel
Thank you
Your prompt response appreciated.
I haven't been to court yet but believe I should perhaps go to a court mediation service. I do have photos.
Rate you 9 out of 10
Kind regards
Carla
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

Mediation should be fruitful.

Please give feedback in the feedback part provided.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.