Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

After a disciplinary meeting, how long before I should be

Customer Question

after a disciplinary meeting, how long before I should be notified of the outcome? and due to not knowing if this can lead to termination can I request to have time of while waiting on this outcome?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: nsw
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I had a previous meeting 4 weeks ago and was given a warning. I was then off work sick with medical certificate and returned to work for 3 days and was then on approved annual leave and have only been back at work 5 days when I received another meeting request i have been with the company for over 15yrs and never had any issues or work performance related concerns. however we have just had a restructure and new manager for past 2 yrs
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: new south wales
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

There is no set time frame that they have to get back to you.

What time are you wishing to request?

You should be being paid while they make their decision.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tomorrow I have the disciplinary meeting booked for, so I am currently still working in my role, but am feeling anxious already over the outcome before the meeting.
While at the last meeting they mentioned next could result in termination of my employment, I am just not sure if I can focus on my work while waiting on the outcome and I am worried that this may result in further performance issues and then another meeting which will then be a third meeting.
is it within my right to request time of due to anxiety and stress over the meeting until they provide an outcome?
Thanks
Kristie
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Afternoon

I would suggest you see your doctor and get a medical certificate to confirm you are suffering from the stress due to the situation and in his opinion you require some time off.

You can request the time off and if you have leave available they will deduct it from that. If you have a medical certificate then it will come off your personal leave (sick leave). The doctor can specify the time and if you are not well when it is time to go back you can get a further certificate.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards