Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer

I think my landlady wants to evited me, the reason being she

Customer Question

I think my landlady wants to evited me, the reason being she thinks I having affair with her partner which is so wrong. I moved in here 5/12 years ago with my husband who has died in that time. As we had none each other for quite a few years we didn't have a lease or bond the rent is always paid on time. When my husband was a live he enclosed the sunroom out the back which we got the windows plus put up blinds, also out door blinds, plus new timber blinds in side with no expense to her. Have looked after the place and have keyed it clean and tidy
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your inquiry.

Your situation is governed by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010:

If you are no longer within the term of a fixed term lease agreement, or never were, then your landlord can terminate your lease at any time, but must give you not less than 90 days notice, as set out in Part 5 of the above Act.

If your husband did major work to the sun room with the landlord's consent and this work has significantly improved the value of the property, then it might be possible to argue that you are entitled to some payment in equity to compensate you, however, if it was done without consent, the landlord can technically require you to reinstate the property to its original state at your own expense.

For more general information about your obligations and rights as a tenant and the process of ending your tenancy, I suggest you review the material at the following link:

I trust the above assists.

Good luck and please rate my answer.