Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I hade a lodger in my property ,stay a week didn't pay ,fill

Customer Question

I hade a lodger in my property ,stay a week didn't pay ,fill my head with all his problems ,being divorced I took him try to help ,went away to chile for a year, didn't pay anything told me to do whatever I want whit his belongeins , come back stay for about 6 months ,went back to chile for 6 months didn't pay me a cent when away , lefht a cat so I feed the cat for 2 years, now I told him not come here to live no more ,I ask him for$ 2000 for keeping his stuf and take care of the cat,so I send him a message to pay or iam not given his stuf back,i told a friend is going to acused me of stealing his belongings, which he left in my place,so is going to take to court,so I need to go to court and ask for a payment for my perils
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You cannot extort money from him this is a criminal offence. You have allowed him to live there rent free and you cannot now demand money to store his items.

If you wish to have them disposed of send him a letter asking him to come and remove them or you will seek orders to give them to charity.

If he does not respond then get an order from the magistrates court that he has abandoned the items so that you can give them to charity and throw away what is not worth anything.

But you cannot demand money to give it back to him.

Throwing it away without his permission or a court order you will be liable to compensate him if he sues.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Can you please reply here?