Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Went to court today only to be told the police had givin

Customer Question

Went to court today only to be told the police had givin wrong court date so chargers had to be dropped and
We had to go to police
Station so they could issues us again
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning,

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
M son went to court today and was told the police had givin him the wrong date , and that chargers had to be dropped , he then had to go to police station so they could charge him again?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can they do this?
Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning

Yes they can. I am surprised they dropped the charges I would have thought the court would have adjourned the matter to a new date and forced the police to notify him of the new date.

If they dropped the charges then it would be argued they may not have a case and your son should have a solicitor with him when he goes to the station.

Do you know if the Court made an order that he has to go to the station or was that what the desk staff told you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The desk clerk
Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

Good Afternoon

I would suggest he not go to the police but go back to the court and ask for a copy of the orders that the Magistrate made.

If the magistrate has ordered he go back to the police then he has to comply.

If the order was simply dismissing the charges then he does not have to do anything and if they police want to charge him they have to come find him.

But go and get a copy of the orders that the Magistrate made before doing anything else.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance . If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards