Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I am divorced and remarried. House was sold, ex husband

Customer Question

I am divorced and remarried. House was sold, ex husband signed everything. Now he is saying he didn't get enough from the sale of the house and is going to take me to court. We have been divorced for a year at the end of August.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 2 months ago.

I note you have specified Australia as the country relating to your question but Maine as the relevant state. Please confirm your location so I can ensure the question is answered by an appropriate lawyer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My location is Australia, sorry, don't know where Maine came from.

Hello again,

When you say your ex husband "signed everything" what do you mean?
Were there any children from the first relationship?
How long were you married and how were the assets divided between you in broad terms, and how did you come to agree to that division?
Broadly what did each of you contribute to your combined asset pool?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was a thirty year marriage. Two children who are married with their own children. My ex husband signed papers for the house to be sold, and the dispersal of funds. House was sold over a year ago. We will have been divorced a year on the 29th August this year.

Roughly how were the assets split (i.e. what share did you each get) and did one or the other of you contribute substantially more to the relationship asset pool?

Where you each independently advised about the apportionment or was the division just agreed between yourselves?