Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I would like some advise on the child support payments that

Customer Question

I would like some advise on the child support payments that I make for my son. I am happy to meet my commitment for his support but I changed jobs earlier this year and my pay decreased. I contacted child support to advise and an amended assessment was sent out. I have just done my tax return - and I underestimated my annual income but the new assessments that have been sent out state that I have earned $115,00 when my taxable income for the year was only $69,046. According to this assessment I need to back pay my ex wife for 8 weeks from 04/05/2016 - 30/06/2016 an amount of $353.71 per week for that period. I cannot afford that amount. I contacted child support to ask why that had calculated my annual income by adding my estimated and actual together and I was told that that is how it is - the computer works it out. I need to know what my options are and I how I get child support to correct my assessment.
Peter Dixon
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

What did your income tax return show? Does it include any lump sum payments from your other job?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my tax return for 215/2016 showed income as $69,046 and no there were no lump sum payments from my previous job
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Evening.

The following link is the estimator.

You need to go through it and apply the figures and see what you come up with.

Have you given them your income tax returns? Did you have an accountant?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do my income tax myself and CSA is notified by ATO once I have finalised my return
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

You have to go though the estimator and see what you get.

If it come up with less than they have said you will need to seek to vary the assessment.