Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

My wife was made redundant today after knowing it was going

Customer Question

My wife was made redundant today after knowing it was going to happen for the last 4 days after it was leaked to her by the General Manager. She has had 4 sleepless nights worrying about it but has turned up for work every day. Why did the principal of this real estate company not make her redundant as soon as he found out she knew? .she has been offered 2 weeks pay and holiday pay owing. The reason for redundancy was "the company is struggling financially "and the bank has told him that he has to make cuts.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

Good Evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

How long has she been with the company?

I cannot answer the question on why he waited 4 days. That is something for him.

Does her job still exist or has there been a downturn in business?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She has been there for 2 years in the role of sales administrator . if they continue to sell properties someone has to do it. She also had a week off on stress leave after he tried to get her to sign a written warning which was a crock of shit. He has recently had a workers compensation case go against him
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning.

The warning is not relevant if she is redundant

Being there for 2 years she is entitled to 6 weeks pay plus any annual leave outstanding and also 2 weeks notice period.

If she is over 45 she is entitled to a further 1 weeks notice.

She is bring ripped off.

Here is the link from fair work.

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/ending-employment/redundancy/redundancy-pay-and-entitlements#2045-2047

If she says it is not a genuine redundancy she can sue for unfair dismissal she has 21 days to file her complaint with fair work.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance, if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards