Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I commited a crime involving theft and cheques amounts in

Customer Question

I commited a crime involving theft and cheques for small amounts in New Zealand in 1977. I left the country and have not been back. I have very much reformed my ways and I am to present a lecture in New Zealand at the end of the month. Will they arrest me at the airport or bar my entry?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Unless the court issued a warrant for your arrest and notified customs to apprehend you at the border you will not be touched.

The only way you can ascertain what happened is to contact the court that you were to appear before and see if they have any record.

I suspect there is nothing there and you will not have a problem but contact the court in NZ or customs in NZ.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I actually left the country before any action was taken by police. Is there a Statute of limitation for low grade crime in NZ? It was 40 years ago.
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning.

Did you get saved with a summons to appear in court?

Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

There is no limitation period for criminal offences.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No summons was served.
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

If that is the case then it could not have gone to court. You have to have been served and the court satisfied you are aware of it. If not then the matter would not be in court or dealt with.

You should have no problem when you go back to NZ