Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

My sister resides in Australia with her family, husband and

Customer Question

My sister resides in Australia with her family, husband and three kids. They all are Australian citizens. Her husband married a Pakistani woman during his last visit to Pakistan without my sister's consent. I want to know the legal rights of my sister if she asks for divorce? and ...
What is the penalty to her husband in Australian law for marrying without consent?
Can he bring his second wife to Australia without declaring her as his wife?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

If she sees the marriage as over she has to wait 12 months when they are not living as husband and wife and she can apply for a Divorce.

being married he cannot bring a second wife to australia they will not recognise her as a wife.

But she has to be separated from him for 12 months to be eligible to apply for a divorce in australia

She does not have to prove infidelity etc. There is a no fault system in Australia

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.