Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My driver's licence got suspended month after I just got my

Customer Question

My driver's licence got suspended for three month after I just got my license early this year. What happened was my husband drove my car speeding twice in 2014,which incurred in total 4 demerit points in 2014, since we moved house and I never received any letter from WA transport department, so I lost opportunity to appeal that I was not the driver who was speeding(I was on learner's permit)I recently received a letter from WA transport indicating my licence was going to be suspended because I has accumulated 4 demerit which has gone over the limits for new driver. I contacted WA Transport department and they believed it was my fault not updating my new contact details in file.I contacted WA police and their answer was quite negative, so now I can't drive for three months for something I havent done wrong?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Did you notify them of your change of address? If you did there should have been a sticker placed on the back of your licence with the new address.

The letter saying that your licence will be suspended did it give you any other options? Can you email me a copy of the letter to***@******.***