Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I am on a salary package with a large manufacturing company

Customer Question

Hi I am on a salary package with a large manufacturing company in Brisbane , and am contracted to run One production line and deliver set targets , no issue with this and always deliver better than expected resultHave been with this business for 2 decades and am highly skilled in my fieldRecently they asked me to Run 2 production lines with double the expectations and responsibilities, Initially it was on a temp basis until they recruited the role I was led to believe , and have been doing this for the past 6 months , taking on the extra work load and hours, and have tried to manage this but it has meant extra work and hours
They recently told me I am required to run both indefinitely, as they were not going to recruit , because I am the only one that could do both roles this in the business ,,
I asked about remuneration as my work load had doubled as well as scoping some high level opportunities for the Business, which requires me to do work remotely from home alsoThey told me No way, you will just have to manage it and you are paid well and sitting on top of the scale for my level,, which has been achieved over many years and hard workfelt a little intimidate and bullied because of my age (55)
My current contract clearly states one production line not twoMy questions are :
1.can they demand me to do this extra role with no remuneration
2.One of the Roles I am performing appears to be redundant, so the business is savings a salary package by me doing both roles ( it was previously filled)
3.If the role is redundant Could I apply for a redundancy? as I feel I will be scrutinized if I follow this throughLooking forward to your responseKind regards Craig
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

But you have been doing the 2 lines for no extra pay for how long?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
currently 6 months ,
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon

By taking the job on and doing it for the past 6 months you have varied your contract of employment.

On average how many hours a week are you doing and is there any award that covers your employment?