Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

A client requested work on s vehicle, which I carried out. I

Customer Question

A client requested work on his vehicle, which I carried out. I was pre paid part of the costs. I still have the vehicle nearly 8 years later. I have had no contact with the client for approximately 7 years. I have had the vehicle shedded all this time.
Can I sell /dispose of this vehicle to defray costs ( including storage) legally to relieve myself of the responsibility of care for this vehicle?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Does your contract say that you have a lien over the vehicle and if they do not pay you can sell?