Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

My son has submitted divorce papers to the court to be

Customer Question

My son has submitted divorce papers to the court to be finalised on the 22nd this month. His wife was in full agreement and signed the papers willingly. She was not disputing assets. His wife had now decided (in a drunken stupor with the push from here friends) that she wants $10,000 from him. Before they signed the papers she wanted a car so
my son bought her a $31,000 car but she keeps on asking for money. Sorry to ramble on but he wants to know legally where he stands now that she willingly signed the divorce papers but seems to be reneging on what she signed. Can she legally do that or would the papers be classed as a contract? My sons' assets/house (which still has money owing) were his before she was in his life. The house was purchased from accident injury money and now he has another work accident money due. There are no children.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Were the papers filed with the court consent orders for the court's approval or something else?