Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I am concerned about my sons ex partner. She revealed today

Customer Question

I am concerned about my sons ex partner. She revealed today to me that she owes quite a large debt to centrelink. The amount i dont know. When her and my son seperated she moved onto a unit with their child who was still a baby and had her son to a previous relation every fortnight (1 week has him next week dad has him. Not long after she moved in with the new partner primarily because she had great financial issues. The problem is she continued to get centrelink benefit for her and the children whilst living with him and working at the same time. The new partner at that time was a big gambler to the degree of accessing his super and spending it on the pokies. Therefore he did not contribute financially except providing a roof over their heads. She ended up moving out on her own again still on the benefit and continued working and not informing centrelink. She said she ead going to tell them but not until she had cleared some of the debts she had. She remained on h er own with the children until recently when she moved back in with thr partner. My son has not contributed financially for their child and the father of her son pays school gees and she is responsible for unigorms extra curricular activities etc and external activities for him. She is financially responsible for the little girl my sons. My husband and i up until the little girl started school had her every second thursday to sunday to give her a break. Im meeting with her tomorrow to provide support and for her to offload. She has not told anyone apart from myself. Can you provide me with some advice please. My immediate thought is to assist her in getting a lawyer who deals with centrelink issues. Your advice will be greatly appreciated
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes Tasmania. Currently de isions made in regards ***** ***** issues related to my ex daughter in laws siruation is imprisoning for a certain time
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No as she only informed me today via messenger.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I think she needs to point out that the debts incurred while she was with my son was done by both but she got left with them e.g s huge electricity bill that was around $4000. My son shared with snother person and the account was in his name. He died and Aur ora eas never told. When she found out she notified aurora and was very truthful that the account holder had been dead for over 6 months. From that she became responsible because of being truthful. So it wasnt as if she went out and bought things for herself or splashrd out with buying exorbitant items. She was attrmpting to pay all bills off insteadcof going bankrupt. She realises now that it was the wrong thing. I guess the other thing the lawyer should know is the dtate of her mental health. She has had to take anyi depressants for a long time now as a result of her snxiety in regards ***** ***** outstanding debts and most probably knowing that she wss doing the erong thing. I will know more tomortow
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Are you asking if you son can be charged with fraud if she is caught?