Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I would like some help in regards to my rights in australia

Customer Question

Hi, i would like some help in regards ***** ***** rights in australia regarding divorce.
I am French, my wife is Peruvian, we have met in New zealand moved in Australia and got married 2 years ago. Our relationship went down the hill.
After we broke up i made a mistake of putting myself on Tinder and she assume that it was a cheat.
Now we have decided to separate, and file for divorce in 12 month time.
We do not own a house, no kids and the only thing we have together is our furniture and our lease on the property we renting.
Is she able to ask for part of my money, or am i able to ask for part of her money?
Looking forward to your answer.
Kindest regards
Tim
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

It is a short marriage and if she wants to claim anything, it is going to be hard because you have no assets.

If she wants to claim spousal maintenance from you then she can but has to go to court.

Here is some information.

http://www.diyfamilylawaustralia.com/Topic/spousal_maintenance_how_calculated.html

Because it is a short marriage there would be very little that she would get and the law in Australia will not make orders indefinitely it would only be for a short time.

Anything you have in France she cannot touch because the courts here cannot deal with the assets overseas.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards