Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

Why cant i get public liability insurance in Australia

Customer Question

why cant i get public liability insurance in Australia because I'm bankrupt?
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: Queensland and yes since December 2015
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet just insurance companys but as soon as you tell them they just cant help you
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: thats the only thing other then that im a up standing person
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Unfortunately there is no law about this. It is simply that the insurance companies are wary about inuring you.

You have to persevere.

I would suggest you try using a broker and see what they can do. It is up to the insurer if they want to take the risk and insure you. They have a right to refuse you as a client.

I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. You may contact the Insurance ombudsman and see if they can assist you with mediation.

But there is very little else I can tell you.

https://www.fos.org.au

If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah I already new that cant believe that just cost $90 bucks thanks for nothing
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 5 months ago.

The fact your ex has not renewed the MRO might be seen as a sign that the your matter is not as serious as some other cases, but it is likely to only be a fairly minor consideration. More relevant will be whether or not you have a reasonable explanation for breaching the order. If you just did so willfully and without any provocation, or compelling reason, then the court will likely look dimly on the matter.

A charge alone should not appear on a criminal record check, but if you are convicted, it will.

Breaching an MRO is not a trivial matter and I would recommend you get legal representation.

Please rate my answer.

Patrick