Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I have been employed in my job 12 months full time. The

Customer Question

Hi I have been employed in my job for about 12 months full time. The owners of the business have had renovations done for the past two weeks in which I was promised that I would be payed for the time that it takes to renovate. Now that they have found out that they will not be covered by insurance for loss of income they have retracted my pay for the time off and as I have no holiday pay owing I am out of pocket 2 weeks pay. Am I entitled to be payed or can can my employer just not pay me because of their lack of incompetence.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Do you have an employment contract?

Can you elaborate on what the insurance your employers are referring to is, and why they were being paid by insurance?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They were apparently expecting loss of income insurance as they are forced to close the doors for the time that it takes to renovate! No I don't have a contract I am just a full time butcher
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello !!!!!!!!

Given the time, I will have to address your question tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.