Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I've known my husband since childhood and we've been in a

Customer Question

I've known my husband since childhood and we've been in a stable relationship for 18 months, communicating by email and phone, a month ago we were married in Thailand, in the presence of my mother and stepfather both Australians, further proof of our relationship can be obtained from my parents in laws. My husbands intention was to come Australia on a tourist visa , marry here under Australian law and apply for a partner visa while here, but he has been refused a tourist visa for it being clear in his application that was his intention.What is our best course of action now?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I assume he was refused because he was coming to be married.

You should speak to a migration agent/Solicitor on whether it is worth appealing the decision for the tourist visa first.

If not then you may have to consider going overseas and marrying and then applying for a new visa when you come back without him.

I am not sure who told you to go about it the way you did but the department does not allow people to enter into the country on a visa that is not correct and they have other intentions. This is the problem.

What state of Australia are you in?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To start with we are both from Myanmar and my husband traveled to Thailand to get married last month but the marriage is'nt recognised by Australia law. So we thought if he came to Australia on a tourist visa and married under Australia law we could then apply for partner visa while he was here.
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning.

there are alternative visas

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/300-

Here is a link and these people can assist you.

http://www.partnervisa-australia.com.au/?gclid=CJf6m_bxy80CFQdvvAodrL0Gwg

Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Evening.

I am following up my last post. Do you still need assistance?