Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

I bought a little car from Trifty [the car rental company]

Customer Question

I bought a little car from Trifty [the car rental company] on the 13.04.2016. The registration transfer paper work according to Vic Roads happened on the 22nd April by Trifty. The Vic roads transfer acquisition paper given to me by trifty is dated 13th April.
Since this date I have the car and to my surprise I have been receiving parking tickets reminder notices for the last two months, for places I have not been to. I am angry and shocked and am sure there is something wrong somewhere. How do I fight this? One of the councils sent me a printed photo of the car too with a date and time on the top. I feel its penalties that took place at the time car was hired by the car hire company that have not been paid that has been sent to me, but what about the date ? I had the car on these dates. I don't understand this? Is it the software used by the council that changes the date from the date the ticket was actually issued? Or is it some malicious person behind this that is doing this to me? No one else uses my car. My kids are little. I am a single mother living alone with my two girls. Please advise.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Do you have copies of the infringements and the dates that they were issued? Are the dates before you bought the car and it was transferred into your name?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Leon, Yes I have the infringement reminders sent to me with the dates. The dates are after I bought the car and this is what I cannot understand as I did not even go to these places . How can I scan them to you ?
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning

There is no need to send them to me I accept what you are saying.

The one with the photo, is it your car and your numberplate?

Have you ever given the car to someone else to drive?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
picture of the car does have correct number plates. No one else has used this car since I bought it..
I think these have taken place when it was a hire car but do not understand how the dates have changed to after I bought the car. This is the easiest logical answer I can come up with, but then again I have no proof of how this has happened.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The pic is just a computer print out with a date on top.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sent by one council
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning

If it was after the transfer occurred and there is a date stamp you are going to have difficulty proving it was during the period before you were an owner.

I am not sure how you will be able to prove that they changed the date on the photo.

Did the car have the same number plates when it was a rental or was it changed when you purchased it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
same number plate.
Yes I don't know how to get to the bottom of this and find out how this has come to me. I first had one notice then 2 more and then yesterday another. I pay for one to save me time and trouble but this not stopping its crazy.
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning

The only thing I can suggest is go back to Thrifty and ask them about what areas they had leased the car in and see if they match.

If you fight this you will lose. All I can suggest is you elect to go to court and see if the court will reduce the fines based on your financial position.

The dates are against you and you cannot prove that it was not you. this is the issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think I will ask the councils to give me a copy of the actual tickets that were placed on the car first and see what happen from there. Then may be a copy of their computer history of the case.
I called Trifty and they really don't want to know. Its more work for them. But may have to go there in person with my problem.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I appreciate what you say, but you have no real solution or answer to my problem.I hope I'm not getting charged for this and am paying the basic 5$ only
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning,

That is the first step and collect all the information.

You are only charged what you offered.

Good luck with it and all the best

You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.