Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am in the process of being given a redundancy. Even though

Customer Question

I am in the process of being given a redundancy. Even though I think there is ulterior motives I was about to accept it and I also asked that because of the 22 years of loyal and hard work that and the fact that I had booked in for knee replacements prior to this redundancy proposal that they consider giving me 8 weeks sick leave also, I have 22 weeks sick leave un used.
The first consultation was Friday 24th June the next one is today Wed 29th at 2pm.
The CEO asked in the letter of consideration a level of confidentiality, I am responsible for 220 people and 3 of my managers rely heavily on me, I have worked closely with them for well over 5 years.
I was off on Monday and I got a message from the CEO to not come in yesterday Tuesday 28th June in a text message, my email had been withdraw and I had another senior coordinator ring me because she needed support and could not email me.
In did tell my 2 managers that I am considering accepting a redundancy on Friday 24th June. I also told the senior coordinator that I was unlikely to return to work and to seek support.
There are 3 staff including me that are affected by/ or offered redundancy, apparently the media got hold of this and I would back the 2 managers and the senior coordinator that this was not due to them and it certainly was not me.
I am already suffering the humiliation of the redundancy and now suffering being indirectly accused of spilling to the media by way of cancelling my emails and restricting my contact with long term staff. Can you advise me of any rights I might have has this is really going to damage my reputation and ability to move to new emploment
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Are you asking about them lying about you telling the media?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I think they believe its me or someone I have told. While I am considering the redundancy can they treat me this way taking my emails and not returning my calls, should I try and ring the CEO prior to the meeting today
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning.

It appears to be bullying and harassment and it is not permitted under the law.

But you have to report this to them in writing that you are being bullied.

If they do not change their behaviour then you can lodge a complaint about them.

Here is some information.

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/employee-entitlements/bullying-and-harassment

Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Evening.

I am following up my last post. Do you still need assistance?