Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

Approx. 16 to 18 months ago my husband and I found a cat

Customer Question

approx. 16 to 18 months ago my husband and I found a cat living under our house. It looked healthy but needed a good feed which we did thinking it was a stray we started looking after this cat full time, we even put a cat door in just in case it wanted to go elsewhere. A month or so later our neighbour said the cat was theirs and took it home, within 5 minutes it was back with us. Neighbour and us talked about the cat and they told me they didn't want the cat inside much because it may hurt their 2 small children so they put it outside. The cat has been living with us now for 16 to 18 months, we have paid for all food etc for the cat and now the neighbour wants the cat back after all this time. Neighbours moving to NSW and the cat will be given to someone else as a ratter. Is there any legal way I can keep this cat as we have grown to love him very much.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

It appears that they agreed the cat was yours and you have the right to it.

If they want to take it now they are not the legal owners.

By allowing the cat to live with you, it can be interpreted that they have given up all rights to the cat.

You do not have to allow the cat to go anywhere and if they want to take it they would have to get a court order.

They have agreed to allow the cart to live with you and since that date you have provided and looked after the cat that is enough evidence to show that they have given up the right to the cat.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Evening.

I am just following up my last post. Do you still need assistance?