Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

My little dog got t by a car about 3 weeks ago .He was lying

Customer Question

my little dog got hit by a car about 3 weeks ago .He was lying on the side of the road and a lot of cars stopped except the person that hit him but the whole fact was he is in an very enclosed house . I was away interstate working and my fiancée was working so it was a nice day and the dogs were outside . We have a house behind us and they were getting there side of the fence fixed they never told us bet obviously we knew with the dogs barking and all the noise so that day I went out and asked the tradie how long he would be so I would bring the dogs inside to stop the barking.We are on a parallel fence and the tradie a few days later took a strip off our fence which we have photos of and his answer was he forgot to put it on before he left for the day. Through that fence was a vacant padock with no gates which is on a main road. Therefore he was rushed to the local vet then straight to the emergency vet in Adelaide the wanted to put him down but I wanted to see him first before I got back .The Tradie company put the claim in for him as soon as I rang them through sgic .Sgic are I believe paying everything I paid up front and maybe potential future risks as he hit the car head first no body injurys but he is now fully deaf falls over obviously no balance through the head trauma but they are trying to pay as little as expected but they acknowledge there is compensation How do you assess a figure on a dogs quality of life that should never have happened .He falls over his deafness his headaches which the vet said he will have the stress worry on us and I would pay anything for him cause he is my best loyal friend 12 yrs. Sgic want a price that we think the compensation should be. they are saying that they will get their assessor on the compensation but how do you compensate on life I just don't wont him to have surgery on the brain and ive rang up companies and most are between 10 to 15 k I spent nearly 8k in the first 5 days
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I am sorry to hear about what has happened. What exactly are you asking from me?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what would you recommend as as price$ because there asseccers will so I know they will go low as I know that's how companies work an estimate would be great
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The company are asking for what I I think is fair and want me to put it I writing then there asseccers will give what they think. Also after since its not a claim as you can only claim once can I get a suitable lawyer for trespassing taking down our fence with no knowledge and the dogs on the company that supplied the tradies
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

Good Afternoon

I would suggest a fair price would be the costs of the surgery. If you choose to go ahead then you have the money to pay. If you choose not to then you have received the money as compensation.

If you wish to seek compensation from the neighbours or the tradies then you have to work out what your losses are.

You need a solicitor that practices in negligence.

You cannot double dip though. The insurance you get from SGIC is compensation for the injuries to the dog. The compensation you will get in any claim is the same and the insurer will have to be reimbursed you cannot double dip.

I hope this all makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Evening.

Just following up my last post. Is there anything else I can assist you with?