Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I'm just researching cases where police have prosecuted the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm just researching cases where police have prosecuted the charge under s.474.17 Criminal Code – using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence. I've been harassed online and have reported it to ACORN.gov.au. Am just seeing how commonly it goes to court.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Queensland, but as I understand it, s.474.17 Criminal Code – using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence is Commonwealth Law? Two days ago was when I received the messages and made the report to ACORN
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet, but as I'm the complainant, I can't see that I would need to.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I am also keeping in reserve looking for a defamation lawyer in Queensland civil law because I believe this person may post slanderous material about me online
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The messages were sent on a social networking site after I clearly told the sender I never wanted to receive messages from him again. I told him about 's.474.17 Criminal Code – using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence' and said that I would inform the police if he did so. I then blocked him on the site. He used a secondary account (known as a "sock puppet") to get around the block, where he sent me 9 separate abusive messages that I saw in the morning, before blocking and reporting that secondary account also. The person in question has previous convictions for other criminal offences.
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.What is your question?