Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

I was made redundant 3 years ago after nine years of service

Customer Question

Hello I was made redundant 3 years ago after nine years of service and then have spent the last three years at two different companies in the same field of my previous job. My former company has now purchased my current business and has stated the name will not change and all current terms and conditions will not change and they will honour all service and leave owed to current employees. Im currently on a starting wage with this company and it is nine dollars less per hour than what I was on previously with my former employer.
Also even thou I was paid out for my nine years service would there be any standing for me to have those years recognised so that concurrent employment would then be accumilating long service leave instead of me having to wait six years to reach pro rata again?
Im also interested if the minimum time has elapsed that allows me to work for this company and if they are allowed to own my current business but trade under the current business name and whilst they have an eba with my old site and arent willing to share similar conditions and pay rates with this new site.
Thou Im pretty sure they would have done there research it feels tremendously unfair that they have done this and arent willing to acknoweledge my previous service or renumeration thanks for any advice
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

No. You are with a new employer and your service starts from the date you started with this new employer.

You have lost the previous years employment.

It was 3 years ago you were made redundant. I am sorry but the law would not support any claim.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. I know it is not what you want to hear. But I cannot give you nayhting more positive.

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.