Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Logan city council have fined me twice and now want to

Customer Question

logan city council have fined me twice and now want to inspect my property for unapproved building works!! I have a 2 story house that i have built in under they class it as converting a class 10a garage to a class 1 habitable rooms! I would like advise as the rooms are a storeroom and a tool/utilty shed and under the building code they are non habitable rooms!
JA: Issues like this can be complex. Fortunately, the attorneys we work with have a lot of experience in education law and it would be my pleasure to match you with the one who's the best fit.
Customer: OK great, I just want the council get off my back its already cost me a small fortune in their fines and getting drawings/plans draughted thinking i'd be needing them!
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I've had 2 engineers come look at my place and i am a fabricational engineer my trade, both engineers stated that they can't just class them as habitable rooms with out having internal stairs or me admitting them to be so which i have not done!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Have you constructed the building illegally and without approval?