Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

We have two grand daughters that we consider to be in A

Customer Question

We have two grand daughters that we consider to be in A serious unstable, unsafe and even neglected posistion with all 3 parents involved in their lives.. 2 fathers and the one mother. Both fathers have been physically and verbally abusive towards the mother many times. Police have been called in both relations ships the mother has had with both fathers.
The eldest grand daughter is 9 years old. She is struggling as her mother was possibly on drugs .. Says she is not now but our daughter is stressed and suffering from huge anxiety not helped by the fact that last week they were evicted from rental. But her 'illness' has been getting worse over a long period of time. Plus depression runs in both sides of our family. Child has not as far as I know suffered any 'show' of her fathers abuse directed at her but she has seen him angry as his previous partner moved out last year with their 1 year old after an 'event' and mother does not want son to have contact with father for reasons of her own.
Youngest gran daughter is 5 months old. The fact that she is too young to be totally effected by her parents terrible relationships, the eldest child has suffered due to step fathers drinking and drugs. Mother seems to try to keep 'family' together at any cost. This has caused the children to be the middle of a very violent yelling home life.
My husband and I live 1,700 kms away. I have tried to help by coming down and helping daughter by washing and getting house liveable for the children but unfortantly it does not last long after I leave. Can down Easter and doctor gave daughter anti depression tablets which she only took for the few days I was there.
We feel the children are in imediate danger in many areas of all the parents lives..emotionally,physically and every day care. We would like to remove the children so they are out of the parents 'game playing' and give all parents the time to sort their lives out so they can be proper attentive caring parents to their children and the children not be bargain chips nor secret holders. Our poor eldest granddaughter has only ever had this when her and her parents lived with us when she was born and when our daughter came back after the father had jail time for domestic violence.
We really need to find out if we can do something to help our grand babies as soon as possible as we have to get home by next week and we have the children now in our care.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Have you reported this abuse to anyone? What evidence apart form what you have seen do you have?