Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

How do I go about removal of a spent charge. NSW 03/07/2007

Customer Question

Hi how do I go about removal of a spent charge. NSW 03/07/2007 Common assault-T2H 29087637: BOND S10 : 2 YEARS PSYCHIATRIC/PSYCHOLOGICALCOUNSELLING TO ACCEPT THE GUIDANCE OF A PSYCHIATRIST ORPSYCHOLOGIST, TO TAKE MEDICATION AS PRESCRIBED AND TOATTENDFOR COUNSELLING, REHABILITATION OR EDUCATIONALDEVELOPMENT IN ACCORDANCE WITH MEDICAL ADVISE.
JA: Dealing with charges can be stressful, but getting correct information now can only help. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

A spent conviction means it is no disclosed but sit remains on your record. It cannot be removed.

It has to remain because there are certain jobs where all convictions have to be disclosed.
Your criminal record is never erased. Only after a 10 year period with no further charges are you able to have convictions not disclosed in most cases.

But to have it removed for ever is not possible. I am sorry I cannot give you what you wanted to hear.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
even though I was not convicted of the charge...
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

If you were not convicted there is no criminal record.

There is nothing there.

If you were charged, then you only have to disclose it if you are specifically asked about whether you were charged. This for example occurs if you apply for a visa to the US. Even though you have no conviction because you were charged you have to disclose it and you cannot lie.

But charges do not appear on your criminal record they only appear on the police data base.