Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I'm just wondering if it's worth pressing charges an have I

Customer Question

Hi I'm just wondering if it's worth pressing charges for defamation an have I got every right to my partner an her family is from another state far from me so we don't see each other much an they don't know all that much about me to know what's true an what isn't in the mean time my partners been living with me for 12 months an working in a Telstra store in the meantime we haven't been getting along all that well so my partner give her resignation at the Telstra store an was gunner go back home to her parents place just to have some time apart for a bit in the mean time her boss from the Telstra store has contacted her family saying don't let my partner come back to me as Iv been to jail before for assaulting an ex partner while she was pregnant so now my partners father believes this an Won't allow her back near me none of this is true Iv never assaulted my ex partner or been convicted of assaulting a female an never been to jail an also her boss is saying Iv been msging some of her female workers while I was with my partner all this is false I'd just like to know how to go about it an how do I get justice now all my partners family thinks I'm some female bashing cheating bloke this is without the rumours she is telling customers that I know that goes into her store thanks
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You would not be pressing charges you would have to sue for compensation.

It is not a criminal offence. It is a civil matter.

That conduct lying about you to a third party is defamation.

What state of Australia are you in and are your partners parents prepared to confirm what they were told?