Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

My daughter is in year 12 at school. past 8 weeks she has

Customer Question

My daughter is in year 12 at school. For the past 8 weeks she has been harrassed online by fellow students, i have approached the school 3 times and have been told each time as it's not happening in school it's not their issue. On Friday i then received a phone call from the principal saying that several students have complained about my daughters facebook posts and they are requesting a meeting, apparently now it's a school issue. The principal also wants to conduct an assmbly about this issue and has asked my daughter not be there, I'm concerned she wants to talk about my daughter.These students have also made very damaging allegations that my daughter came to school on drugs (all false) it seems this group are on a mission to destroy my daughters reputation. Where do i stand with the school on this?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

The school is incorrect if it is as a result of anything happening in the school it is their problem.

You can take out an intervention order against the children doing the harassing and intimidation through the Magistrates Court.

Also report this to Facebook as well.

If they are lying you can also speak to a solicitor about possible actions in defamation if they are telling others and this has a negative impact on your daughter.

The school should have a policy about this.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.