Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Would it be possible former priest suffering from the trauma

Customer Question

Would it be possible for a former priest suffering from the trauma attached to seminary training and consequent diagnosed clinical depression be able to take legal action against the seminary/diocese for psychological injury. It would be proposed that the seminary with its seven year training program in the 50s-60s was similar to a total institution which retarded the psychological growth of young men (17 years to begin with), caused lack of sexual/psychological growth with consequent impact on their future relationships
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

It is a difficult question.

If he is an employee then he may have a claim for workers compensation but when was it discovered was it reported and what was done.

If he was sexually abused then it is a criminal matter and again any compensation is limited because there is a 2 year time limit from the date of the offence.

He should be speaking to compensation lawyers that practice on a no win no fee basis and provide detailed information including medical reports so they can decided what the best course of actions is.

Solicitors that do this work include Maurice Blackburn, Shine Lawyers etc.

Also if he was a student there may be a duty of care and breach of negligence and the time limits are different again.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards